I have a PC at work with firefox and a Mac at home with both Safari and Firefox; I recently installed the safari add-on; after some time I realised that all the tags I had attributed under firefox disapeared; that is possibly due to safari add-on; because before I never lost my tags; the question is is any known bug? and what is more is there a way to recover my tags?
Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.
My guess is that, at some point, the server version of your bookmarks was replaced with the Safari version of your bookmarks. Since Safari itself doesn't have tags, this had the effect of wiping out your tags. This is a known issue; we are working on making Safari a "better citizen" by attempting to store tag information on the side. In the meantime, the known fix is to rollback your sync bookmark history: log into my.xmarks.com and go to "Tools > Explore & Restore Old Bookmarks".
Here's the work-around I would suggest to get tags and your more recent changes:
1) On my.xmarks.com, reset the server to the version with tags. This rolls back what's on the server.
2) On your computer, fire up the setup wizard. Step through the process with your existing user account. At the last step, when you do a sync, it will ask how to reconcile your local bookmarks with what's on the server: do a merge starting with the server.
I'm really surprised this issue has remained unsolved after 5 months. I just posted about another minor issue thats been open for a while (
http://getsatisfaction.com/foxmarks/t..., but this one is a big deal, and just cost me to lose the last several days of bookmarks in order to get back to a state with my tag information.
If this issue was presented with the safari plugin I most definitely would **not** have installed it.
Restoring the correct bookmarks was also a pain, due to the other issue I linked to above. I could not determine the latest backup that had tag information, because tag information is not preserved in the HTML export. So I had to manually restore old revisions that had that info until I found one that did. It probably wasn't the latest backup with tag info, but I didn't want to waste more time finding that.
This reply was removed on 2010-02-20.
see the change log
The way I was able to restore the tags is shown here.
Before anything, disable temporarily syncing to xmarks from your browser.
1. Find out the date when the tags have been deleted: go to my xmarks website and log in. On the main page, choose Grid View (by default is Classic view). Click twice on "Created On" header to sort the bookmarks by date (starting with the more recent ones). If you see for many bookmarks the same date in the column "Last modified", then that is the date (the DATE!) when the tag problem occurred and you can go on to the next step. Also the "Last Visited" column does not show anything to me, it is just like all bookmarks have never been visited.
2. Make a note of all the bookmarks created between that DATE! and today (they are sorted already, as per first step). You will need to add them later to the list after you revert back to the tagged bookmarks version.
3. Revert back to the XMarks version that was created just before the DATE!. On xmarks page, click on Tools - Explore and restore old bookmarks. Click on the "Backup ID" version just before the DATE! and click Restore. Accept the message to restore the old bookmarks.
4. You should have restored the tags along with the old bookmarks. Verify this by clicking a bookmark with tags (in Classic view) and click Details. You will see the tags in the Tags field.
5. Add all the bookmarks you saved at step 2, one by one.
6. Resync your browsers(s) bookmarks.
I hope this works for you too!