PS: Oscar Best Picture Non-Anglo Produced Nominees?

  • 1
  • Idea
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)
Which of these Oscar-nominated Best Picture movies with a non-Anglo* primary production origin is your favorite? * non-English speaking country not descended from the British Isles

Anglo Countries: Europe (British Isles: U.K., Ireland, Scotland, etc.), Americas (U.S.A., Canada, Bahamas, Barbados. Belize, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, etc), Australasia (Australia, New Zealand) and Africa (South Africa, etc) from the 195 total World Countries

LIVE POLL: TBD

See the partial list of Oscar-nominated Best Picture non-Anglo produced movies here: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls045829486/
Photo of urbanemovies

urbanemovies

  • 4205 Posts
  • 2401 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

  • 1
Photo of urbanemovies

urbanemovies

  • 4205 Posts
  • 2401 Reply Likes
Photo of urbanemovies

urbanemovies

  • 4205 Posts
  • 2401 Reply Likes
bump
Photo of urbanemovies

urbanemovies

  • 4205 Posts
  • 2401 Reply Likes
Interestingly enough recent Oscar Best Picture nominee, Roma (2018) is a 100% USA based production, as all three production companies are based in California, USA.
Photo of urbanemovies

urbanemovies

  • 4205 Posts
  • 2401 Reply Likes
As of March 2019, 98.4% of all Oscar Best Picture nominees are Anglo-based productions or co-productions. They are represented by five hundred forty-eight of the total five hundred fifty-seven Oscar Best Picture nominees. This poll is dedicated to the other 1.6% that bucked the odds to secure a Oscar Best Picture nomination and the one that won.

Controversies (from Wikipedia)

One point of contention with the award is the lack of consideration of non-English language films for Best Picture. Only eleven foreign language films have been nominated in the category (and none have won): Grand Illusion (French, 1938); Z (French, 1969); The Emigrants (Swedish, 1972); Cries and Whispers (Swedish, 1973); The Postman (Il Postino) (Italian/Spanish, 1995); Life Is Beautiful (Italian, 1998); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Mandarin Chinese, 2000); Letters from Iwo Jima (Japanese, 2006, but ineligible for Best Foreign Language Film, as it was an American production); Amour (French, 2012); and Roma (Spanish/Mixtec, 2018).

Only nine films wholly financed outside the United States have won Best Picture, eight of which were financed, in part or in whole, by the United Kingdom. Those films being: Hamlet (1948), Tom Jones (1963), A Man for All Seasons (1966), Chariots of Fire (1981), Gandhi (1982), The Last Emperor (1987), Slumdog Millionaire (2008), and The King's Speech (2010). The ninth film, The Artist (2011), was financed by France.

Genre Biases (from AMC filmsite)
Only a few foreign-language or foreign-made films have even earned a Best Picture nomination: Z (1969, Fr./Alg.), The Emigrants (1971, Swe.), Cries & Whispers (1972, Swe.), Il Postino (1994, It.), Life Is Beautiful (1997, It.), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000, Taiwan/HK), Letters From Iwo Jima (2006, Jp./US), Babel (2006, US/Mex.Fr.), The Artist (I) (2011, Fr./Bel)and Amour (2012, Fr.).

Through the 2019 Oscars, 550 of the 559 Oscar Best Picture nominees are Anglo productions or co-productions representing 98.4% of all Oscar Best Picture nominations. Anglo Countries: Europe (British Isles: U.K., Ireland, Scotland, etc.), Americas (U.S.A., Canada, Bahamas, Barbados. Belize, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, etc), Australasia (Australia, New Zealand) and Africa (South Africa, etc).
(Edited)
Photo of TheMovieSmith

TheMovieSmith

  • 905 Posts
  • 856 Reply Likes
Life is Beautiful
Photo of leavey-2

leavey-2

  • 1741 Posts
  • 1252 Reply Likes