Archived and Closed
This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: This conversation has been inactive for over 6 months and is now closed.
The site looks bad. The circular avatars look ridiculous and the desktop layout feels very claustrophobic due to everything being huge. The profile pages have an oversized margin on the side, which certainly won't be filled by 200 characters of boring "about me" plain-text.
It feels like a bunch of people who couldn't agree on anything designed this.
last.fm had a unique identity previously. Now it looks like all the other faceless "Internet Radio" sites out there, only it's more sterile and has circular avatars (I truly cannot comprehend anyone agreeing to that, especially in contrast to the overall "boxy-ness" of the rest of the design). And you've buried or removed your best features! Your greatest strength was the data/statistics, unique user profiles, groups, events, journals, artist pictures, and comment pages. What does remain from this falls victim to the poor layout and design.
It used to be fun to browse other user pages because they could put interesting and unique things on their sidebars. Now everyone is limited to 200 characters of plaintext? Clearly it was one of the most loved and widely-used features on the site, and I honestly don't know how anyone could think removing it would be received well. You may have noticed that people on the Internet and music fans in general like to express themselves. There's a reason people hang up posters in dorm rooms, and you had a delightful digital equivalent of this, but have made the baffling decision to strip the walls bare. I thought this place was supposed to be fun?
I have hope that some of the currently missing features will come back, and that some of the half-baked ones will be improved upon. But there are some that already seem to be firmly established that are alarming. As a very, very frequent user of this site and former subscriber, I am not happy, and I sincerely request that you PLEASE CHANGE:
* Circular avatars. These look completely horrible and are an eyesore on every page.
* Creative restrictions. Bring back the freedom of the old "about me" section so people can feel like they're creating their own space. The current limitations are oppressive.
* Go back to "Artist-Title". "Title-Artist" makes all the data look bad.
* Hugeness everywhere. Fonts, picture boxes, margins, page headers, everything. It's all way too big. The site looks like it might be okay at about 75% zoom, but then the margins become absurdly large voids.
* Get a line of some kind back on the comment threads. Previously there was a little line beneath the commentor's name and went across the comment to the edge where the post time was. This looked great. You need something here.
* Allow people to change their profile page banner graphic in some way, preferably a custom picture. Certainly don't make it a picture associated with a "top track." People listen to a lot of music and I doubt anyone wants such a huge section of their profile managed automatically.
Thanks for reading.