Scrobbles of Septicflesh - what's going on?

  • 12
  • Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Today I went into my last.fm and I saw one artist more than it was yesterday. I searched when I probably scrobble sth wrong, but I didn't find anything, so I go into my library artists, and realised that Septicflesh scrobbles are.. splitted up? To be honest, it looks like some of my scrobbles (about 100) went into the same named artist (both are Septicflesh) but when I clicked on Septicflesh with 3k scrobbles I saw the site with this ~100 scrobblings. I will post some screenshots, which better reveal my problem.

This "100 scrobbles" Septicflesh (position no.155)


Septicflesh with 3k scrobbles


And scrobbles site to both of them


I hope you will help me and make it correct.


EDIT: I also realised one fav song missing, but it's probably connected with this problem above.
Photo of Tom Stephen

Tom Stephen

  • 447 Posts
  • 621 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

  • 12
Photo of Laura Last.fm

Laura Last.fm, Official Rep

  • 448 Posts
  • 365 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey,

I've had a look at this, and from what I can see, this happens because you've scrobbled two different spellings of this artist name, "Septic Flesh" with 3138 scrobbles and "Septicflesh" with 116 scrobbles. "Septic Flesh" gets corrected to "Septicflesh", and so you see only the one artist name in your library - but the two entries aren't merged, which is a bug, corrections don't work properly yet.

Did you only notice this change the other day (it sounds like you did)? You can try enabling/disabling corrections at http://www.last.fm/settings/website and see if this changes anything in your charts?

Cheers,
Laura
Photo of Jon

Jon, Community & Customer Services

  • 4705 Posts
  • 3521 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey guys, I'm sorry it's taking so long to address what looks like a deceptively simple issue, but this particular bug represents a somewhat fundamental problem with how the catalogue and scrobble storage system interact.  Unfortunately the fix we had in place for Septicflesh mentioned earlier in the year isn't viable, because it causes problems with your library elsewhere. It's not as simple as just setting up a correction x -> y.  

The development are working hard to address the underline cause of this and many other issues with the catalogue -- rest assured, I'm voicing your concerns and frustration on to management at pretty much every meeting, and reminding the team that people are patiently waiting for the resolution of this problem.  When there's news to share, staff will definitely update this thread, so please use the follow button to get email notifications on this issue. In the meantime thanks for your patience and understanding.
Photo of Jon

Jon, Community & Customer Services

  • 4705 Posts
  • 3521 Reply Likes
Official Response
Just to recap as it's not clearly stated in this particular thread:  This issue will be fixed when we deploy an upgrade to the scrobble database which powers user libraries.  We were hoping to deploy this last month, however testing identified a number of issue that needed to be resolved before we can make this available to users, so unfortunately we're running behind schedule by at least a month.  As the new database completely replaces the existing scrobble storage solution, it's extremely important that we ensure that the data and scrobble counts are correct for all users -- that's essentially why it's taking so long to complete. Thanks for your patience and understanding in the meantime.

Edit: The fix for this is now being rolled out as part of the new scrobbles database, which you can read about here.
(Edited)