Details of Photosynth Update, September 8

  • 1
  • translation missing: en.shared.topic.styles.singular.talk
  • Updated 10 years ago
This evening the Photosynth team released our second update. Here's what was included:


  • Improved upload success rate. This update should significantly reduce the number of synths failing with error code "0xA000000B". The problem happens when a file is currupted on it's way to storage. We've added additional retry logic, and beefed up validation on both the client and server.

  • Smoother installation on Internet Explorer. Our installer now marks the ActiveX control as "pre-approved" so the IE Information Bar doesn't get in the way when viewing your first synth.

  • Resolved #1 cause of viewer crashes. We take these kinds of bugs very seriously. Our friends in Seadragon helped resolve this problem. (Thanks Paul & Dan..)

  • Fixed image loading bug. Every so often the viewer would shrug it's shoulders and stop loading images, even though the points were there. This is now fixed.

  • Better "Recent" synths. The recent synths view of the explore page now only features synths with at least 10 photos.



All but the last fix are updates to the installer, and all new installs of Photosynth will include them. Existing users won't be prompted to upgrade, but you can install the upgrade here if you're affected.

A big thanks to everyone who reported upload problems and provided debug information. The team is already hard at work on the next update!

-Scott Fynn
Photosynth Program Manager
Photo of ScottF

ScottF

  • 83 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
  • feeling good, how are you?

Posted 11 years ago

  • 1
Photo of bam blanco ramirez

bam blanco ramirez

  • 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I installed the upgrade - and tried loading some pics again. DID NOT WORK. Still got the Failed (error A000000B).
Photo of ScottF

ScottF

  • 83 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Hi bam, I want to understand what you're seeing, could you post your failed synth's logfile in this thread?
Photo of BirdDog

BirdDog

  • 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It's great to see your already issuing updates to Photosynth. Now I see it's gone to version 2.0.1403.14. And great to hear "The team is already hard at work on the next update! "

Any chance you could throw in some more camera support in the next update?
http://getsatisfaction.com/livelabs/t...
Photo of de Dolle

de Dolle

  • 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
This upgrade worked perfectly, no error A000000B anymore.
Please checkout my synth from the building where I work: http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=1...
Photo of ScottF

ScottF

  • 83 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
We're glad to hear it!
Photo of Dave Kaufman - Techlife

Dave Kaufman - Techlife

  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I was referred here by Bert from your team. I would love to be notified about updates or just have them auto-install. In the future, maybe.
Photo of siya

siya

  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i installed the upgrade but the error is still not fixed.
Photo of Nathanael Lawrence

Nathanael Lawrence

  • 795 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Hi, siya,

What error are you experiencing? Could you please quote it for us?
Photo of siya

siya

  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
When I'm uploading images I get an error that says "Failed (error A0000008)."
Photo of Nathanael Lawrence

Nathanael Lawrence

  • 795 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
I see. Error A0000008 is different than A000000B, although it looks nearly identical.

For all references to A0000008 here on getsatisfaction, click here. The most informative post seems to be this one.

My understanding is that this is a problem caused when the synther is somehow being blocked from talking to the photosynth servers. For example, when it converts your photos to the image tiles used by Photosynth/Seadragon/Deep Zoom, it checks with the servers each time it comes to a new photo to see whether it needs to upload that photo to the site or whether someone has uploaded it before and it can save you time by skipping that upload. If it can't get through to the servers it probably figures it can't upload anything to them and gives up.

That's my best guess. Hopefully someone actually on the team can give you a better answer.

I would try disabling any firewall you have running for an hour while generating a synth and see if you have success. If you do, then you just have to flip your firewall back on and figure out how to create an exception for Photosynth to talk to the web. As my second link above points out, it could be something that is being blocked by connecting through a proxy, but since I have no experience with network settings, I'll let someone else try to explain that.

I hope you can get up and running soon.