Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.
I have a similar issue but only some of my inbox emails were lost. I am running the most recent version of Thunderbird and recently (about a week before I lost emails) switched from a pop account to Imap through godaddy hosted email. I am running Mac OS 10.5.8
I ran through Roland's suggested fixes but none worked? Any suggestions? I am worried that this could happen again and affect other folders. I switched from POP to imap because i didn't want to lose emails stored on a hard drive. Now I'm losing imap messages.
This sounds familiar. Did you file your problem in a separate Get Satusfaction Support topic? If so, please reply there,. Regardless we need to know exactly what you did i.e. details of "I ran through Roland's suggested fixes but none worked" as well as your email provider (e.g. gmail) and operating system in order to help you further.
Finally you are not going to lose email IMAP messages unless you delete them from Thunderbird or from another IMAP email client (or from webmail if your email provider supports webmail)
My email provider is godaddy and they do have webmail. The messages are also missing from their webmail client. The emails seem to have gone missing at some point this past saturday night. Everything in my inbox received before about 9pm est is gone. Emails have been coming in fine since.
That's strange.Sounds like the email was deleted from Thunderbird or another email client using IMAP or POP *or* GoDaddy lost them.
I can suggest the following:
0. Make sure you haven't set Thunderbird to delete old emails based on messaging aging:
1. Asking GoDaddy support if they can restore the email
2. Doing a backup and then compacting the folder where the email was "lost". Was this your inbox?
3. If you have a backup from before 9p.m. est of the outage, create a new profile and transfer the existing email and the old email to the new profile
4. If none of the above work, perhaps the missing email is just in a funny state and is actually in your mailbox files and therefore you can recover it manually:
Well, I have a case where entire Inbox simply disappeared. It's Thunderbird v.13.0.1 on Win 7 x64. It asked for compacting for few days, which I hadn't time to do, and then entire inbox simply was gone!
I've checked Profile and folders in it, but seems that all messages are deleted since the size of Inbox is not relevant to what it should be and showing quantity of few new messages only.
This is really annoying, especially if not possible to get all those messages back... it's huge lost of few hundreds official emails...
Please, if there is any real and relevant solution to get all those messages back, let me know.