Android: unread list doesn't update

  • 2
  • Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • (Edited)
For a few months now my unread items list has shown exactly the same number and list of unread stories. However once I drill down into a specific feed the unread list for that site is correct. It seems the global unread list is somehow stuck

app version: 4.2.1
android version: 4.3
device: samsung GT-I9505 (MSM8960)
memory: normal
speed: 60 in 16 and 162
premium: yes
prefetch: yes
Photo of Andrew Jeffery

Andrew Jeffery

  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

  • 2
Photo of Samuel Clay

Samuel Clay, Official Rep

  • 6514 Posts
  • 1474 Reply Likes
We'd love to fix this. What's your username? We're tracking this issue here: https://github.com/samuelclay/NewsBlur/issues/672#issuecomment-78728072
Photo of Andrew Jeffery

Andrew Jeffery

  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Cheers for the response; my username is amboar. I see you've mentioned below that you may have found the issue!
Photo of ojiikun

ojiikun

  • 475 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Which unread counts are incorrect?  All Stories, or also for individual feeds?  When you tap into a feed or folder, does the list of stories match what you see on the web (with regard to unread state)?  When you pull to refresh (or hit refresh in the menu) does the status bar at the bottom of the feed list show any messages?
Photo of Jonathan Shneier

Jonathan Shneier

  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Happens to me, too, on a 1st Gen Moto X with KitKat.  The counts for individual feeds seem to get stuck.  They sometimes update correctly locally, but as soon as a sync happens they're incorrect again.  I just visited the desktop site for the first time in months, and that seemed to kick something; all of a sudden a bunch of items showed up on the phone from the last few weeks that weren't showing up at all before, even after a sync.
Photo of Samuel Clay

Samuel Clay, Official Rep

  • 6514 Posts
  • 1474 Reply Likes
So what's your username?
Photo of Samuel Clay

Samuel Clay, Official Rep

  • 6514 Posts
  • 1474 Reply Likes
OK, I think I found the bug. Looks like Android was calling a different endpoint than iOS, so it wasn't being counted correctly. I really think this will make a big different for all Android-exclusive users. If anybody else has Android counting issues, it may just be related to this and we should be asking if they exclusively use Android.
Photo of Jonathan Shneier

Jonathan Shneier

  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Awesome.  This has been bugging me for months, and I just tried to search for other people having the same problem tonight, so great timing.  My username is jshneier if you want to do any more debugging.
Photo of Andrew Jeffery

Andrew Jeffery

  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Wow; quick work! I wasn't real hopeful as there are other feedback conversations pointing out the same problem from a couple of years ago.

Thanks for your work on newsblur Sam, it's a service I'm happy to pay for. I've been using it from the Google reader shut down and apart from a few teething issues it's been great.