What is the exact
release number for your version of Quicken?
If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show one of the following you are missing required software updates:
Quicken US version:
"2014 ... Release R10", https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2014-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch
- "2015 ... Release R12", https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2015-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch
- "2016 ... Release R11", https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch
- "2017 ... Release R4(or higher)", https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch
Quicken Canada version:
2014 ... Release R4
- 2015 ... Release R4
- 2016 ... Release R3
- 2017 ... not yet available
Quicken Canada users: Do not download the patch or Mondo Patch files in the above links. They apply to Quicken US users only. Instead, scroll down the webpage to the Quicken Canada section and download the file hiding behind a clickable word "here".
Locate the Mondo Patch file (US) or Canada Mondo patch file applicable to your version of Quicken in the links above.
Download it and save it to disk.
Temporarily disable your Antivirus software for the entire duration of the next step:
Right-click the downloaded patch file. Click "Run as Administrator" to execute the installation program.
This will replace any Quicken software modules with a known consistent release level and, hopefully, eliminate any software corruption or errors during installation as a cause of this issue.
You need to validate
your Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
crashes while running Quicken.
Please run this procedure, skipping no steps:
- Make a copy of your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy. Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file. (The Copy process appears to be performing a record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy. This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable files)
- Open the copied file in Quicken.
- Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click Validate File, check to make sure the copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run.
- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.
Now close and restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.
If that doesn't
resolve the issue, you may have no recourse but to restore your Quicken data
file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first
occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that
does not exhibit these symptoms.