I'm really liking the new updates the site has gone through recently (the new book view!, new notes and list styles, etc) but I have noticed that some features have gone missing. Some may be unnecessary, but others were actually pretty helpful and I would love to see them return:
1. Page numbers on Notes, instead of just "Previous" and "Next."
Making and reading notes is what I mainly use the site for, and without page numbers, it makes browsing user notes a lot more cumbersome.
2. List view on Books.
I really love the new cover view and its functionality, but I am really missing the list view...
Sometimes we just want to read the titles.
3. User's timelines (Activity) now do not show which books have been added.
I know they still show under Books, but this was very useful. I have discovered lots of books that way.
4. Changing book edition
5. Book cover on a full-page Note (for lack of a better word.) I sometimes link my friends to some Notes, and that was it's easier to see which book they're reading about.
These are older, but still missed:
6. Books in common with other users
- Kind: We still can see which kind it is, but not as clearly. And I can't seem to find a way to filter them (like I can on my own notes.)
- Comments: Currently, there is no way to know which notes have comments by reading at first glance. We have to see the full note for that. Which brings me to...
- Full notes: The ellipses used for longer notes are not as clear as the the image used before. Also, having to click the cover or the date to see the full note is a bit awkward.
This shows what I'm talking about.
Anyway, I still love the website and use it everyday.
Keep up the good work, Nathan.
Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.
seconding this comment/request.
and have a related addition:
it would be great to have a more meta-way of viewing books. that could include sort by author, date added, even missing cover or most/least read... there could be in-line stats about how many readers and notes there are for each book.
Since I can't seem to edit my post anymore, I just wanted to add that I believe all notes tagged only with "Quote" should automatically look like a quote. (blockquote)
Not only would it make the website look more unified, but it would also make it easier to browse (or skip) quotes. And frankly, it looks so much better.
I just remembered: book summary pages used to have the synopsis. It would be great to read what a book is about without having to exit the website.
And we can't access all book lists. Books are still marked as "Abandoned" and "Reference" but we can't see those specific lists.