About Fraud Buster
Fraud Buster is a cloud service that detects fraudulent messages using AI technology. Enabling Fraud Buster allows Trend Micro to scan email content to protect you against scam, phishing, and suspicious emails. Fraud Buster can be disabled at any time to stop email contents from being transmitted to and scanned by Trend Micro.
How Fraud Buster works
When you read email messages on Gmail.com or Outlook.com using our supported browsers, Chrome, with the Trend Micro Toolbar enabled, the sender, subject, and email body will be encrypted and transmitted to Trend Micro Fraud Buster server to be scanned. This server is where the anti-fraud rules, SPN threat intelligence, and AI technologies are applied to provide the fraud analysis results.
To speed up the fraud analysis process, we store the hash* value of safe emails, as well as the data without PII** of fraudulent emails for up to 72 hours. To make the fraud scan more accurate, email messages reported using "Report scan result" have PII removed, and are encrypted and stored on Amazon S3*** to train and adjust our AI and rules. These email messages are then deleted within 3 months.
* We use hash to transform the email data into a short combination of symbols which cannot be converted back to the original message.
** PII (Personal Identifiable Information), is any data that could potentially be used to identify a particular person.
*** Amazon S3 is a service used to store data. Only authorized threat researchers in Trend Micro can read the data stored there.
To test this feature in Gmail, please to the following:
1. Open Google Chrome, click the browser menu, hover over More Tools, and then click Extensions.
2. Select the Enable checkbox next to the Trend Micro Toolbar extension.
The Trend Micro Toolbar icon will show up.
3. Select Enable FraudBuster under the Trend Micro Toolbar menu.
4. Sign into Gmail in Google Chrome.
5. Open an email message with English in Gmail and scroll down to the bottom of the message.
Note: This feature is only supported for English and Japanese mail content
A Security Scan button is displayed.
6. Click Security Scan.
To test this feature in Outlook.com, please to the following:
1. Sign into Outlook.com in Google Chrome.
2. Click the setting icon and turn off Conversation view.
3. Open an English email in Outlook.com and look for a Security Scan button at the top of the message.
Note: This feature only supports English and Japanese email content.
4. Click Security Scan.
The Scan Results page opens in a new tab.
Sample result pages:
Be the first to post a reply!